Quiz: Is Dog-showing Right for You?
It might seem really glamorous and exciting, the thought of entering competitions and bringing home ribbons and rosettes – and indeed, many people enjoy the hobby of showing dogs immensely.
You can make new friends, learn lots of new things and possibly even build a distinguished career as a dog exhibitor and/or breeder. You might even go on to become a dog show judge or compete at Crufts!
But dog showing is not for everyone and it may require more commitment than you realise! So take this quiz to find out if showing dogs is really something you’d like do to:
QUESTIONS:1) You like to groom your dog
- a) once a day or every couple of days – you love spending time on his appearance and enjoy bathing and grooming him
- b) once a week, if you can get away with that – you tend to leave it until it really has to be done
- c) never, if you can help it!
- a) no trouble – you always get up early, even on the weekends
- b) a bit of a struggle but you manage it with an insistent alarm clock
- c) absolutely impossible!
- a) in any weather, rain or shine – it doesn’t bother you
- b) preferably in good weather but you’ll go out in the wet and cold if you have to
- c) only if the sun is shining and it’s comfortable temperatures!
- a) mostly doggy people or animal lovers
- b) a mix, with some pet lovers
- c) mostly non-pet lovers who can’t understand why you care so much about your dog
- a) have a healthy respect for you and will obey your authority in public
- b) can be a bit naughty sometimes but you’re working on their training
- c) are complete hooligans and you have no control over them
- a) relatively free at the moment or filled with things that you won’t mind sacrificing
- b) quite busy but you could probably rearrange to fit in important events
- c) completely booked up with your favourite activities and social engagements
- a) they’re OK – you quite enjoy driving and don’t mind making a long trip to get somewhere
- b) they’re a pain but tolerable if necessary
- c) they’re absolutely intolerable and you get very car-sick
- a) you don’t mind winning or losing – you just enjoy taking part
- b) you like to win but you know that losing sometimes is part of life
- c) you HAVE to win! You can’t bear losing and you get furious at everyone and everything around you if it happens